Saturday, May 4, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal, 5/3/13

Homeschool Mother’s Journal: May 3, 2013


In my life this week…

It is spring, but the heat keeps cranking. It's cold.

My biggest struggle in our homeschool right now is with my student's sleep patterns. For a while this year I was okay with him doing schoolwork late at night and sleeping in late in the morning. But he is just not doing the schoolwork. He has reached a level in Math where he needs my instruction each lesson, so he can't just do his Math. He's not doing his Latin at the intended pace, and is not getting as much out of it as hoped since he doesn't want to watch the DVDs.

To add to issues with my son, one of our dogs is becoming geriatric and unable to hold her urine. Extra cleaning; extra smells.

And the most stressing issue overshadowing everything, my step-sister's breast cancer, which I won't discuss on this public forum.

In our homeschool this week…

We are almost done with The Hobbit. It has been fun seeing how my son has enjoyed this book. He rarely is interested in anything that is not science or Lego related.  Finished/finishing two product reviews this week. Work completed in plotting functions in Math. Studying nature without documentation right now. Have a tadpole we're watching transition to frog. Son had caught eight frogs, too, but let them go because the care of eight frogs was more than he could handle. 
We're trucking right along in Halliburton's 2nd Book of Marvels. In Literature and History we largely decided to park longer in the 2nd half of the 1800's to catch some material we haven't gotten done. One of our current books is even the American Revolution era: Amos Fortune, Free Man. I guess its title made me think it was Civil War era. Then when I pulled it out I found it was 1700's. Oh well. 
We're also reading Across Five Aprils, The Light in the Forest; and Our America.... The King Philip's War Adventure (another book set in the 1700's).

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We're also reading Arizona: Cavalcade of History in preparation for an anticipated trip to southern Arizona. More on that later.

My favorite thing this week was…

when my 13-year-old son willingly held my hand as we crossed the parking lot. He was in his Boy Scout uniform on his way to a camp-out, and we were getting his dinner at the Subway, all a bunch of his favorite things (Boy Scouts, Subway, camp-outs), so I guess he was just happy enough to risk being seen holding my hand. Made this mama smile!

My kiddo’s favorite thing this week was…

An unexpected box full of gifts that arrived unexpectedly from someone, just because he enjoyed talking with my son over a year ago while he fixed our screen door!

Things I’m working on…

Product reviews, house cleaning, decluttering, geriatric dog care, menu planning, figuring out next year's school books, arrangements for a vacation.

I’m cooking…

Burgers on the grill.

I’m grateful for…

Date night with my hubby last night.

I’m praying for…

my step-sister, Debbi, and my daughter's dog, Milly.

I rewarded my son this week by…

letting him get a Smithsonian Geology Kit at the Scout Store.

Something I am ogling or have my eye on…

My daughter's bedroom, which she will be vacating when she marries in September. It will ease the cramped conditions in my home when I can make that bedroom into a sewing/classroom.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…

"May the 4th be with you!"

No comments :

Post a Comment

3