Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Old Schoolhouse Expo Special Event

In the state in which I live, the annual homeschool "conference" is only the equivalent of the "Vendor Hall" in other states. There is a county's fair grounds buildings, and the vendors occupy many buildings, and it is fun to get out and buy new things, ...but ...I miss my annual Homeschool Convention from my previous state (Colorado). Oh, the days of schedules, different speakers to listen to, gleaning from the wisdom of others. Taking notes, notes, notes; chatting with other homeschoolers about my successes, failures and frustrations. I miss it. I could attend one in a bordering state, ...if I had hundreds of dollars to spare for the gas and hotel room... 

The alternative I have learned about in the past is to sign up for a "Homeschool Convention" that comes right to me in my home! I can participate via my laptop, sitting in my recliner, or I can withdraw to the quiet, remote downstairs family room and listen via headphones while my kids enjoy their summer activities upstairs. (Well, my kid. He's 13.) There are different providers who make this type of event possible, and I've been frustrated when they hit in September, or December, or February... Um... I'm trying to homeschool here. I don't usually take one week breaks during those months. They provide recordings as well, but if I don't listen to it when it happens, it usually just becomes an mp3 file in storage on my computer that I never revisit. 

The Old Schoolhouse Magazine is planning just such an event, and they are planning it in... are you ready for it? They are planning it for the month of August! What a great idea! The Schoolhouse Expo is coming up the week of August 19 - 23, 2013.  Sessions will be live online from 1:00 pm until 8:00 pm EST, and the recordings will be available later. Like a state convention, there will be different speakers at different time slots, but unlike a state convention the recordings of the sessions you miss are given to you as part of your entrance fee. And, unlike a state conference, all this comes to you for one low price of $24. And you don't have to pay for gas or a hotel!

This hits at a very good time for my calendar, and I plan to "attend" as many sessions as I can. I still have a busy schedule, though, even though it is summer, so I am glad I can listen later to the recordings of the sessions I can't catch when my son is at the dentist, etc.

Here are some contributing speakers:
And guess what! I get to give away a ticket!

If you want to be eligible for a ticket, please leave one comment below. I will select the winner using a randomizing number selector. This ticket gets given away... I'm not sure when. They didn't tell me. So leave your comment. I'll send out a reminder next week, too, and hopefully by then I'll know when the ticket gets given away.


**********DISCLAIMER:  I get to receive one ticket to attend this event free of charge in exchange for announcing this event to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments :

Post a Comment

3