Saturday, September 7, 2013

George Washington's Rules, #13

George Washington's Rules

Rule #13 and its translation:

13thKill no Vermin as Fleas, lice, ticks etc. in the Sight of Others, if you See any filth or thick Spittle put your foot Dexterously upon it if it be upon the Cloths of your Companions, Put it off privately, and if it be upon your own Cloths return Thanks to him who puts it off.

Now, frankly, this rule is not as necessary now as it once must have been, and I'm going to comment below. But here is my translation:

If you detect a bug crawling on you, leave the room to attend to it (go to the bathroom to remove the tick, etc.). If you see something nasty on your shoe, inconspicuously cover it with your other foot. If you see food on your companion's clothes, privately draw him aside and remove it. If someone else does the same for you, thank him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, this is a lot. I wonder why George W. put it all in one rule. But anyway, the "Kill no Vermin in the sight of others" rule I certainly do not agree with. Can you imagine mosquitoes biting you and just watching without a twitch? I'd even swat a mosquito that was biting the friend I was with. And so often one needs help removing a tick, and you need to go wherever the light is good. I guess I am not cut out to be a politician!

No comments :

Post a Comment

3