Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Wednesday's Words

Today we began work on a new poetry unit. The materials we are working on cam from Classical Academic Press. We are working on Chapter 1 right now, and I wanted to share with you a poem, covered in Chapter 1, by Robert Lewis Stevenson.

Now my son was barely tracking with me through all of Chapter 1 leading up to this one, but I prefaced the poem with, "Now I am going to read a poem by the author of Treasure Island..." (which we just recently finished reading).

"WHAT!!???!!!" my son exclaimed.

"Robert Lewis Stevenson," I replied. (It is clear that he doesn't remember that poetry we covered in 1st Grade by Stevenson.) I said, "He was also a very prolific poet."

So my son was finally engaged, and we both enjoyed this poem.

The Swing
How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the aire so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!
 
I then found the teacher's pages in the book for that chapter. ::sigh:: I'm a little slow on the uptake. Struggling though questions of, "What imagery do you see," as if I were the student, feeling like, "I think that's what it's asking for... Is it?"

I'll do better on Chapter 2 I think...

No comments :

Post a Comment

3