Friday, February 15, 2013

Friday Wrap-Up

 
Here's a wrap-up for our week. My young adolescent is staying up late and sleeping late. It is cramping my plans. I have resorted to writing him a "To Do" list some days, and that has helped some.

Bible:
Reading: We did well, most days, but I entirely forgot on Monday. Yeah, I've strayed far from using my Daily Lesson Planner... And we're falling behind on our "Read through the Bible in a Year" plan, because we don't tend to work on the scheduled readings on weekends.
Memory: I'm working on my "100 Verses in 2013" and JD is working on Awanas verses; we've both been working.
Hymns: We've been working on This is My Father's World, but we only did it once this week.

Math:
Working on Horizons Pre-Algebra, lessons  66-70, and Test #7

Science
Working on Apologia Astronomy, Chapter 2.

Language Arts:
Grammar: Working on Essentials in Writing (Grade 6), Lessons 2 - 6. (Watched DVD for Lessons 1-5 last week, but couldn't start written work til Friday, last, when Lesson 1's written work was done, so this week written work for Lessons 2-6 and Video for Lesson 6.
Latin: Working through Latin 1 - First Form Latin by Memoria Press. This week: Lesson 2, finished, at beginning of week and Lesson 3 begun.
The Art of Poetry begun: Lesson 1, Imagery
Literature: Readings from Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass; Little Britches: Man of the Family; Lassie, Come Home; and Ever Hopeful, Hannah Lee.

Social Studies:
Working on post Civil War era, Reconstruction and Reform. Sadly, The History of Us: Reconstruction and Reform seems to have found some hiding place, so this subject has been neglected this week. Weekend plans: find the book!

Art:
Study of Pierre-Auguste Renoir (1841-1919) French Impressionist (This term's composer: Debussy)

   1. La Grenouilliere, 1869, Nationalmuseum, Stockholm
   2. Les Grands Boulevards, 1875, The Henry P. McIlhenny [travelling] Collection
   3. La Loge, 1874, Courtauld Institute Galleries, University of London
   4. Girl with a Watering Can, 1876, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
   5. The Two Sisters, On the Terrace, 1881, Art Institute of Chicago
   6. Girls at the Piano, 1892, Musee d'Orsay, Paris


Music:
Study of Johann Sebastian Bach
Listening selections for this term:
    Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F major, BWV 1047
    St. Matthew Passion (for 4 weeks)
    Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 565 (consists of one toccata and one fugue; do-able in 2 weeks)
    Well-Tempered Clavier (Prelude and Fugue in C minor, Book I)
    Goldberg Variations


Health:
Discussion of ways to try to stay healthy during cold and flu season.

Physical Education:
Bowling, and general outdoor activities.

Other:
Working on Week 2 of College Common Sense
Scouts: JD got a few things checked off in his book at last night's meeting.
4-H: Tomorrow night is the annual Recognition Night: JD is getting one or two awards. 

Nature Study: Hopefully we'll be doing Backyard Bird Count this weekend. :)

Delighted mommy-moment of the week: My son working on his Latin, reciting to himself various congegations, turns to me and says, "Well, we wanted a language to study, and we found it. We found it. Latin. I like it!"  Wow! My son seldom says things like things like that!  It took me a long time to "learn" my son. I have finally learned that it really takes a month of insisting him to do something so that he can become comfortable with it. Then it is easier to make a valid decision of whether or not something is a good fit with him. 

Another mommy-moment: Reading from Exodus, he begins stopping me every time it tells of the length of curtains in cubits so that he can convert it to feet. Then he says, "I love Math!" Then he pauses, and continues, "I hate it, too, but I love it!"


Spreading the word: 
My daughter has been apprising me of Daisy's situation for years, praying for her. Just found this video; wanted to spread the word. Please pray for Daisy:


Linking up with other homeschool moms at iHomeschool Network.  Be sure to visit them!!

2 comments :

3