Monday, October 29, 2012

Menu Plan Monday

 

In my East Coast area we are currently under hurricane shut-down for Hurricane Sandy. We planned for that in our menu plan, so things could change up quite a bit, but we had to plan for flexibility in the event that we lose electricity. We are fortunate, though, in that we can still cook even if we lose electricity, as we have a gas stove.

Also, for today the plans have no recipe links. I'll try to have links in the future. So, here's the plan:

Sunday (yesterday):
Roast Chicken*, mashed potatoes, biscuits, broccoli
(*About half of this huge bird was left over, and it is planned use on Tuesday.)

Monday:
Chili, cornbread, salad

Tuesday:
Chicken salad sandwiches, Brussels sprouts

Wednesday:
Sloppy Joes, baby carrots

Thursday:
Ham steak, noodles, green beans

Friday:
Home-made pepperoni pizza, salad

Saturday:
Steak, baked potatoes, broccoli, salad

I was trying to figure out how to indicate vegetarian/vegan options without mucking up the above format too much. I am vegan, but my family is not, so the "plan" revolves around the family, and the vegan options just get added. So, I guess I'll just do the vegan plan below:

Sunday (yesterday):
Biscuits*, broccoli, left-over beans and rice
(*Confession: okay, the biscuits were not vegan. They were also not fat free. They had half an egg, almond milk, and some Crisco, but they were made with whole wheat flour.)

Monday:
Chili*, cornbread, salad (*I make a small part of the chili in a separate pot. I cook TVP [texturized vegetable protien] with onion, and then add to it part of the beans/tomato ingredients as I am making the beef chili.)

Tuesday:
Chicken-substitute patty salad sandwiches, Brussels sprouts

Wednesday:
Sloppy Joes*, baby carrots (*I make part of the sloppy joes mix with TVP.)

Thursday:
Garbanzo or other bean, noodles, green beans

Friday:
Home-made pizza*, salad (*I make one regular pizza for the family and one vegan pizza using the Engine 2 recipe book, using a whole wheat crust, tomatoes and vegetables to tope, with flaked yeast as a "cheese" substitute

Saturday:
Steak*, baked potatoes, broccoli, salad (No, I'm not eating steak. When I serve the family steak and potatoes I eat a stuffed baked potato. I top it with vegan chili (left-over from Monday) and broccoli.)

Hope you enjoyed this glimpse into my menu plan!

No comments :

Post a Comment

3