Thursday, October 18, 2012

October Folk Song - Early One Morning

The Ambleside Online Folk Song selection for October is:

Early One Morning, by Barry Taylor (sung by Pernell Roberts below):

 

 The schedule folk songs for the 2012/2013 school year are:
Term 1: Sep Gypsy Rover * * *
      Oct Early One Morning *
      Nov I's the B'y *
Term 2: Jan Keys to Canterbury *
      Feb Mairi's Wedding * *
      Mar All Through the Night * * * * (A Welsh lullaby)
Term 3: Apr Maggie (When You And I Were Young, Maggie) *
      May The Wild Colonial Boy * * *
      June Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen * * 

(Be careful clicking some of the above links with earbuds in -- they can open quite loud.)

 I already did not do September. I'd never heard it before; don't think I care if I catch up with it, but I might play it for my son once. Here is a video link, with the words below the video picture:

Chorus
Ah-di-do, ah-di-do-da-day
Ah-di-do, ah-di-day-dee
He whistled and he sang 'til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of a lady.
She left her father's castle gate
Left her own true lover
She left her servants and her estates
To follow the gypsy rover.
Her father saddled his fastest steed
And roamed the valleys all over
He searched for his daughter at great speed
And the whistlin' gypsy rover.
He came at last to a mansion fine
Down by the river Clady
And there was music, and there was wine
For the gypsy and his lady.
He's no gypsy, my Father, she said,
But Lord of these lands all over
And I will stay 'til my dyin' day
With my whistlin' gypsy rover.
I contemplated skipping the November song, "I's the B'y" (I am the boy), but listening/watching the youtube video, I really like it!

I wanted to dislike it. I wanted to tell myself that, since I didn't do the folk song that was scheduled for November 2011 I could just do that, but I like I's the B'y, so I'll have to figure out a way to work in The Lion Sleeps Tonight:

I'll try to select and post more YouTube video choices for the rest of the selections at a later time.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

3