Saturday, September 10, 2016

Week in Review, Week 2

The continuining saga...

As last week ended, our gas leak had been repaired, but our water heater had died,

and our dishwasher had been dead for some time.

Friday night hubby and I went on a date to Guapo's. Dear son asked dad to stop somewhere and bring him something on the way home, which dad did, which made son happy.

After dinner hubby and I went to Lowe's with dishwashers and hot water heaters in mind. First, after a phone consult with my husband's brother, we checked out the dishwashers. We had some back and forth for a bit and finally settled on a mid-range model of a recommended brand, and a model that has a "Delay" feature, which I really use. (It means I can turn in on after dinner on delay and not cause any bedtime baths to have cold water.) We chose a black-front model, which will match our fridge and oven. I didn't even think of taking a photo of the floor model.

Next we checked out hot water heaters and consulted with a floor salesman. He created a sight-unseen estimate, and it came out spot-on with the estimate the plumber gave us, with the caveat that it might cost more because there might be variables. Hubby and I agreed to go with the plumber, who will do everything that needs to be done and will guarantee for ten years. 

On the way home we even had ice cream! Sometimes that's what date night with hubby looks like! At home we started a "retro" movie night watching "Working Girl", but it got too late and we saved half the movie for tomorrow.

Saturday morning... I took a cold shower. Yes, I did. A very FAST shower. Then I got dressed and got my menu planned and my shopping list created. Hubby went for a long run (he's training for a half-marathon). After his run he showered at our neighborhood swimming pool's bath house! Wasn't that a smart way to get a hot (or not cold) shower? Shopping was done. We spent time doing house cleaning and decluttering. We had dinner according to our plan, cleaned up (hot water from pots heated on the stove, no dishwasher) and had a relaxing evening at home. We finished last night's movie.

Sunday we went to church and then hurried home as my daughter and son-in-law were visiting from their home 60+ miles away from us. When they arrived, JB left to play football with his friends. My daughter and I went to Starbuck's for some decadent beverages. Then we went to Trader Joe's for some fresh corn on the cob to go with our dinner.

Daughter and I went home and enjoyed our visit and our beverages. I spent time reading The Pray-ers and Handbook for Writers. Hubby took son to try to get a haircut, but the barber shop was closed for the holiday weekend. (Good for them! Small family shop.) Then they went to Ranger surplus. Son came home with an empty grenade. (Thanks, hubby!)

We had barbecued chicken, corn on the cob and broccoli for dinner. Evening came way too quickly, and we bid the "kids" goodbye for their long drive home.

We enjoyed another "retro" movie night and watched "Top Gun".

Monday we got to enjoy a holiday. We did clean up and declutter of the living room/dining room -- Boy Scouts coming over tomorrow night for a leadership training meeting. Hubby ran again (shorter tun) and showered at the pool again -- last chance, as the pool closes for the season today. I got myself a bath Little House on the Prairie style by heating four different pots of water on the stove. Hubby helped me carry them to the tub for my bath. My hair really needed washing!

I did a load of laundry (cold load of course). I cleaned out the bird cage (cockatiel). We picked up yard clutter (fallen twigs and branches) and put trash and recycling to the curb. We straightened up the deck and moved the glider from down in the yard to up on the  deck, where I prefer it.

We had cheeseburgers on the grill on paper plates, so less dishwashing tonight. We spent some time taking it easy.

Tuesday - I'd been waiting anxiously all weekend to hear from the plumber to confirm that we could get our hot water heater installed today. Fred did not let me down. He pulled one of his employees from another job to take care of us. That was when I realized I had forgotten to rearrange some things to make the area accessible! Scurry, scurry to get that done!

No photos, but Brian, from Limmerick, Ireland, arrived to take care of our hot water heater installation. Brian needed to turn off the main water valve, did I know where the access panel is? ::sigh:: Behind a large bookshelf full of games. Scurry, scurry, more rearranging. Three shelves empty and the unit can be moved.

The games are now on my washer/dryer along with craft storage items from beside the old hot water heater.

The games need to be decluttered. No one needs two sets of Clue, among other things. And the craft items cannot go back beside the hot water heater -- not safe. ::sigh::
But I am now the proud owner of a new, very costly water heater.
The new model has a pressure overflow tank.
Displaying IMG_3804.JPG

New safety requirements meant that we had to upgrade 3" ductwork to 4" or 5" ductwork.

Wednesday I started my day with a HOT SHOWER! Whew hooo! What a joy! 

Took my son to his 10:00 English class and scurried home. Had loads to do downstairs, but used my time to take care of some business on the computer. Picked my son up after his classes.  On the way home we stopped and got my son's hair cut.

Stopped at the UPS Store and shipped that book that I mentioned last week that I needed to returned.

Got home and evaluated what needed to be done. I really needed to do laundry, but first I needed to clean up my utility room and find my washer! It's the white thing under the piles of games and craft items...

I also needed to write a review due Friday. I started working on the game shelf, but before I knew it it was time to make dinner. When hubby got home we realized I haven't heard from the store about my dishwasher. Hubby called them and we realized the phone number on the invoice was wrong! We gave them the correct number and hope to get a call from them tomorrow.  I never got back to the game shelves, and bedtime arrived before I knew it.

Thursday I had thought I'd be able to get to the gym, but I just couldn't! I had to finish that utility room and I HAD to get that review written! So I got those things done. That's about it. I called Lowe's and learned there was still a place in there computer with the wrong phone number. I again gave my correct number and was informed they should call me tomorrow. 

I made dinner and we booked out the door. Hubby had a church men's meeting, I had Boy Scouts Roundtable, and my son had Civil Air Patrol. They got to watch a drone demonstration at CAP!

Friday I took my son to his class and then finally got to the gym. After a good workout I headed home for a hot shower. (I am so thankful for my hotwater heater!) My son rode home on the bus.

Called Lowe;s again. And again. And again. Finally got someone who took responsibility to get me an installation date on my dishwasher. Next week on Tuesday. Suddenly I needed to reschedule an appointment that was planned for next Tuesday. But at least the dishwasher will get installed.

Worked on Geometry with my son. Cleaned up my email inbox. When hubby got home we went out for dinner. After dinner I worked on some Boy Scout Merit Badge entries into the computer.

Saturday I was supposed to go to quilting day, but I just couldent. I menu planned and created shopping list (first week with Hubby shopped while I cleaned a bathroom and did laundry, put away dishes and read a few chapters of The Pray-ers

Hubby got home and I put away groceries. Hubby went out and I compiled one of the recipes from MyFreezEasy (two meals). As I was finishing the two freezer meals, hubby got home and made the Reuben sandwiches for our dinner.

It's been a full week. Have still been working on Getting Started with French. I love French! 
Getting Started with French is my next review and it will be posted next week. Watch for it!

So how did your week go this week?

No comments :

Post a Comment