Today I came across Taco Soup on Confessions of a Homeschooler, and I decided to alter the ingredients to make them compatible with my food choices, and post it to my blog so that I will have it again later when I want it. So here it is!
Vegan Taco Soup:
- 1 package soy "beef" crumblies
- 1 med Onion, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped (I omit this)
- 1 – 17oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 – 14oz cans kidney beans (or your favorite kind)
- 1 – 8oz package frozen corn (or canned w/juice)
- 1 package Taco Seasoning (see below to make your own)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Optional Garnish: nutritional yeast, sliced green onions, non-GMO blue corn chips from Mom's Organic Store
- Garnish for your non-vegan family members: shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, Fritos or Tostitos (crunch them up and toss ‘em in the soup!)
In large stockpot, brown ground crumblies, onion and celery, adding water if necessary to keep from sticking. Add tomatoes & all but garnish. Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Serve in individual bowls and garnish as desired!
Make your own Taco Seasoning!
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1/2 t paprika
- 1 1/2 t cumin
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper