Sunday, December 23, 2012

Taco Soup, Vegan Style

In my effort to eat vegan, I am regularly getting bored with the choices I'm aware of for my menu plans. Then I'll make some effort and take a good-sounding recipe, alter it to be vegan, but not write it down. Later my brain is like a clean slate -- I don't remember the ideas I had in previous months, and time is wasted brain-storming to come up with menu plans.

Today I came across Taco Soup on Confessions of a Homeschooler, and I decided to alter the ingredients to make them compatible with my food choices, and post it to my blog so that I will have it again later when I want it. So here it is!

Vegan Taco Soup:

Ingredients:
  • 1 package soy "beef" crumblies
  • 1 med Onion, chopped
  • 2 sticks celery, chopped (I omit this)
  • 1 – 17oz can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 – 14oz cans kidney beans (or your favorite kind)
  • 1 – 8oz package frozen corn (or canned w/juice)
  • 1 package Taco Seasoning (see below to make your own)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • Optional Garnish: nutritional yeast, sliced green onions, non-GMO blue corn chips from Mom's Organic Store
  •  Garnish for your non-vegan family members: shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, Fritos or Tostitos (crunch them up and toss ‘em in the soup!)
Directions:
In large stockpot, brown ground crumblies, onion and celery, adding water if necessary to keep from sticking.  Add tomatoes & all but garnish. Simmer for at least 30 minutes.
Serve in individual bowls and garnish as desired!
Make your own Taco Seasoning!
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/4 t onion powder
  • 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 t oregano
  • 1/2 t paprika
  • 1 1/2 t cumin
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t black pepper

No comments :

Post a Comment

3