Monday, December 19, 2016

A Letter from Carole

In the genealogy of things, the "Letters from Esther" were letters from my grandmother to her sister(s) and brother(s), my great aunt(s) and great uncle(s). Initially the letters were also to Esther's father, my great grandfather Alfred Efraimson. He passed away in 1970.

Esther Efraimson married Theodore Norman Holien, my grandfather. Together they parented (in this order) Wayne, Carole, Ida and Larry.

Ida and Carole married in the early 1950s (my mom - Ida - married 8/29/52). The following is a letter Carole wrote to her aunt(s) and uncle(s) after the birth of her fourth son, David (my cousin) in November 1958.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brooke Grove Rd.
Olney, Md.

Nov. 30, '58

Dear Jen & All,

We've been blessed with another dear little boy! Early, as you probably know, by 3 weeks, but seemingly fine, strong & healthy. He was probably early because Ricky is so heavy & still needs to be lifted from here to there, etc. He was 5 lbs. 7 oz to, which is not too light & was born at 5:04 a.m. 11/28. He looks like Bob, as they all do, with the possible exception of Brian.

I sure came to the hospital unprepared. The Dr. & I both felt it was probably false labor, but it turned out not to be (obviously!) so all I brought was my housecoat. And husbands just naturally lose their minds I think, when wives go into the hosp. since I still have no toothbrush, bobby pins, etc. that I've asked him to bring. We're all really glad he's arrived tho, since he is okay, since I should be feeling good for Christmas. The Dr. was just in for my checkup & says the baby is perfectly fine & so am I.

I better close for now. Just wanted to let you know about it.

Love,

Carole

No comments :

Post a Comment

3