Wednesday, April 8, 2015

April 2015 Folk Song - Ambleside Online

The Ambleside Online selection for Folk Song for April 2015 is Cherry Ripe.  The lyrics are at the bottom of the page.

 This version has all the verses, but I don't think the kids will want to sing along:


This version, from a Hallmark presentation of Alice in Wonderland, has only the chorus but helps you to see how it is a folk song:


The entire Alice in Wonderland can be seen here (I can't embed this one because of copyrights):
Alice in Wonderland

So... Is Cherry Ripe a song in Alice in Wonderland? I don't remember it, but it's been years since I read it. Here's another version of Alice in Wonderland (I'm wondering if Cherry Ripe is in this version...). No, I don't think so. Oh well. Words are below.


Cherry Ripe

(Chorus)
Cherry ripe, cherry ripe
Ripe I cry
Full and fair ones
Come and buy
Cherry ripe, cherry ripe
Ripe I cry
Full and fair ones
Come and buy.

If so be you ask me where
They do grow, I answer there
Where my Julia's lips do smile
There's the land, or Cherry Isle
There's the land or Cherry Isle.

Chorus

Where my Julia's lips do smile
There's the land or Cherry Isle
There plantations fully show
All the year where cherries grow
All the year where cherries grow.

Chorus
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

3