Thursday, January 29, 2015

Artist Study, Term 2 (2014-2015)

So, on realizing I was probably due to post this I checked my previous posts only to find that I either didn't post term 1 either, or it isn't linked to my above tab. I'm not sure which it is and I don't have time right now to figure it out. Term 1 is history now, though, right?

So the Artist Study in the Ambleside Online rotation for Term 2 for this year will focus on
Diego Velazquez (1599-1660; Spanish Baroque). Self portrait (1640):
File:Diego Velázquez Autorretrato 45 x 38 cm - Colección Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Carlos - Museo de Bellas Artes de Valencia.jpg
 I feel so "parked" in this era! Not in a bad way, though, but because there is so much to study. We are reading about Wallace and Bruce (circa 1200), and Columbus (circa 1500), so this artist is a perfect fit.

Learn more about Diego Velazquez HERE.

Six paintings are recommended for study of this artist.

   1. Old Woman Frying Eggs, 1618
File:Vieja friendo huevos, by Diego Velázquez.jpg
  ********************************************************************************************************
   2. The Waterseller of Seville, 1623
File:El aguador de Sevilla, by Diego Velázquez.jpg
*****************************************************************************************************
   3. Juan de Pareja, 1630 (And I am totally going to pull out the book, I, Juan de Pareja, by Elizabeth B. De Trevino, which won a Newbery Medal in 1965. Purchase)
File:Retrato de Juan Pareja, by Diego Velázquez.jpg
*********************************************************************************************
   4. Aesop 1639-40 (Did Velazquez know Aesop? Is this what he really looked like? I hope I find time to research this...)
File:Diego Velasquez, Aesop.jpg
*****************************************************************************************************
   5. Joseph's Coat Brought to Jacob, 1650
File:Diego Velázquez 065.jpg
***********************************************************************************************************
   6. Las Meninas (The Maids of Honor), 1656 - What I love about this one is the self-portrait of Velazquez embedded in the painting - he is painting a painting in the painting!
File:Las Meninas (1656), by Velazquez.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment

3