Thursday, October 31, 2013

Rosie's Doll Clothes Patterns - A TOS Crew Review


In September I was delighted to learn that I would get to review the Learn How to Make Doll Clothes Video Course with 8 Free Doll Clothes Patterns from  Rosie's Doll Clothes Patterns as a part of the TOS Review Crew.

Rosie's Doll Clothes Patterns is an Australian company. Rosie  has been sewing doll clothes since she was a little girl. Then she sewed doll clothes for her own girls' dolls. Then she turned making doll clothes into a thriving business! Go Rosie!

I love to sew, but know there are still things I can learn. We have some dolls, and I've been itching to experiment with making doll clothes. So I was glad I was selected for this review. It was a happy fit!

When I learned that I had been selected to review the course, I went down to the basement to locate Samantha,
so she would be ready when it was time to model clothing for my camera. 

When I received Log In access to the website, I immediately went to check it out and learn more about it. I was really surprised by the quantity of tutorial videos and the depth and specificity of the videos. Initially I had assumed I'd get a project done a week during the review time, but the videos contain so much more information than just the sewing projects. 

The Learn How to Make Doll Clothes Video Course with 8 Free Doll Clothes Patterns is set up with two lists. The first list is the "How to Sew Doll Clothes" list, with buttons for Weeks 1 to 6. The second list is the Course Bonus Patterns with buttons for Weeks 1 to 6.

So, starting with Week 1, I began watching the Week 1 "How to Sew Doll Clothes" video list. This list covers: Introduction to the Course; Setting up Your Sewing Room; Tools that Make Sewing Doll Clothes Easy; Everything You Need to Know About Fabric; How to Use Your Sewing Tools; and Cool Tips When Using Your Sewing Tools. I own almost every tool (through inheriting some of them), but I truly didn't know how to use all of them, nor did I often use the ones I knew how to use, being in the habit of using other methods I had contrived over the years. Between the tutorials and recognizing the time my methods were wasting, I've decided to try to be more diligent to use the right tools for the right jobs.

The Week 1 Free Pattern was for a pair of sport shorts. In addition to a PDF file containing the pattern and another PDF file containing the sewing directions, the web page has a step-by-step list of videos walking you through the project of making the sport shorts. Here are some photos of the project in process:



 Here are the shorts I made:


So, now the shorts were done, where was Samantha? She was no where to be found. I still haven't found her. Why do these things happen? I have no clue.

Well, Chatty Patty had to come to the rescue. Here she is styling the shorts:
Week 2 video lessons include: How to Print, Prepare and Cut Your Pattern and Your Fabric; Cool Tips When Preparing Your Pattern and Fabric; Trouble Shooting When Prepping; Cool Tips When Cutting Out Fabric; Trouble Shooting When Working With Fabric; and Cool Tips When Working With Thread.

The Free Pattern for Week 2 is a Crop Top pattern, with written instructions and step-by-step video instructions. I finished the crop top, and Chatty Cathy styled it with her shorts. My (adult) daughter came to visit, and I asked her if she knew where Samantha was. She told me Samantha was hiding because she didn't like the fabrics I chose for the shorts. ::sigh:: Everyone's a critic.




Week 3 video lessons include How to Stitch Straight and Zig Zag; Cool Tips to Make Sewing a Straight Line Really Easy; Troubleshooting That Will Save You Time; How to Sew a Hem; How to Create More Advanced Hems; and Cool Tips to Make Sewing Doll Clothes Really Easy.

The Free Pattern for Week 3 is a Sarong pattern, with written instructions and step-by-step video instructions. I was really happy to find in my stash some leftover swim suit fabric. That seemed like a good fabric for a sarong. The problem with using my leftovers stash is that the pieces aren't always big enough. The swim suit fabric was too small.
I then got the idea to make it out of a discarded T-shirt, so we'll see how it turns out.




I was confused at first by the directions for the sarong because it says the sarong pattern has one piece, but it printed out as two. I finally figured out that there is second piece for an optional long sarong. The video instructions give the short sarong instructions. I may go back later and make a short sarong out of that swim suit fabric that didn't have enough for a long sarong.

The directions taught me a new technique for turning the curve, and I really appreciated that. I'll have to post the sarong photo later, though, because it's not finished yet. 

Week 4 video lessons include: How to Stay Stitch; How to Sew a Seam; Troubleshooting that Will Save You More Time; How to Serge a Seam; How to Create a Casing; How to Create More Advanced Casings; and How to Create Tubes and Straps.

The Free Pattern for Week 4 is a Halter Top pattern, with written instructions and step-by-step video instructions. I'll post photo when I get it finished.

Week 5 video lessons include: How to Thread Elastic Through a Casing; How to Use Elastic to Save Time; Cool Tips When Working With Elastic; How to Gather; and How to Attach Intricate Pieces Together. 

The Free Pattern for Week 5 is a Summer Nightie pattern, with written instructions and step-by-step video instructions. I've already picked the fabric but don't have it done yet.

Week 6 video lessons include: How to Attach Trimmings; Cool Tips When Working with Ribbon; How to Attach Fastenings; Cool Tips to Make Your Doll Clothes Fit Lots of Dolls; Cool Tips When Working with Buttons; and Congratulations! You Did it!

Week 6 has three free patterns! Week 6 has patterns for a hat, a pumpkin, and little underpants! Each pattern comes with the PDF file of the pattern, PDF file of the written directions, and step-by-step video instructions for completing the projects.

We didn't have the materials for six weeks, so I didn't get all the patterns made. When I was in Week 1, I actually didn't start Pattern 1 because there was so much information in the Week 1 Lessons that I just stopped there. I will be working on the projects and insert the photos as I get them done.

I really enjoyed working my way through this program. It contains over 130 training videos! For $47.23 US dollars you get access, for a full year, to an on-line six week sewing course, perfect for a home school Home Economics Course, with eight free  patterns to go along with it! This program does not indicate an appropriate age-range, but I've seen seven year olds who would be able to handle this program with a parent's help. The recommended age range, though, is age 8 and up.

I just learned that Rosie just started a promotional for Christmas, so if you buy her Learn How to Make Doll Clothes Video Course with 8 Free Doll Clothes Patterns program before midnight (in Australia) December 23, 2013, in addition to the 8 free doll clothes patterns you may select one additional doll clothes pattern from anywhere on her site!

If you prefer, you can get the free patterns sized for Cabbage Patch Dolls instead of American Girl Dolls. The American Girl Doll patterns come with sizing for Australian Girl Dolls as well. Once you become proficient with all the free patterns that come with the sewing lessons, you can peruse the Buy Doll Clothes section of the Rosie's Doll Clothes Patterns website to purchase additional patterns to make.

I really enjoyed the Learn How to Make Doll Clothes Video Course with 8 Free Doll Clothes Patterns course. It seems like a real good value, especially for homes where the mom does not have the sewing expertise herself--and mom and daughter can learn how to sew together. So if you or your daughter have been wanting to learn how to sew and have dolls, consider purchasing Learn How to Make Doll Clothes Video Course with 8 Free Doll Clothes Patterns from Rosie's Doll Clothes Patterns and get to work. Once you've been making doll clothes for awhile, you will feel confident to tackle larger projects! And maybe you'll want to make lots of doll clothes to sell in a local craft market. It's worth a thought!


http://schoolhousereviewcrew.com/rosies-doll-clothes-patterns-review/

1 comment :

  1. I guess this is a great start in learning how to sew dolls clothes. The steps seem simple and easy to understand. Thanks a lot for sharing this one.

    ShopAtOliviasDollCloset.com

    ReplyDelete

3