Thursday, October 11, 2018

Brinkman Adventures Season 6: Underground Rising - A TOS Homeschool Crew Review

My family has been enjoying Brinkman Adventures for years,  
Brinkman Adventures
so I was delighted when I learned we would be receiving Season 6: Underground Rising to review! 
Underground Rising Season 6 Brinkman Adventures

Brinkman Adventures are audio adventures that center around the Brinkman family - a missionary family. The stories in Brinkman Adventures are based on real people, and are often based on actual events, although literary license is taken to add to the excitement.

In Season 6 there are six episodes, which gives your family over two hours of listening pleasure. Previous seasons had 12 adventures, which was amazing! However I was not disappointed with the content of the six episodes in this set! The six episodes included are:
  • Dutch Underground, Part 1
  • Dutch Underground, Part 2
  • Twice Born Fly
  • I Wonder Why
  • Free Burma Rangers, Part 1, and
  • Free Burma Rangers, Part 2
Dutch Underground, Parts 1 and 2, tell the story of the Brinkman children's Oma (grandmother) and Opa (grandfather, no longer alive). The children are visiting Oma, and she relates to the kids how she met and married their grandfather in Holland right during the war, World War II.  Oma and Opa lived in Holland when it was overthrown by the Germans. The religious freedoms of the Dutch were being squashed, and Oma and Opa were part of a group of Dutch who were resisting the oppression brought by German rule. There were many close calls, some imprisonment, and a lot of excitement in this story!

Twice Born Fly begins with Charlie watching a fly hatch from a pupa. He is so excited when it happens that he gasps in surprise, ...and with his inhale swallows the fly! That makes for a fun start to the story (but it may not have really happened). His father is able, later in the story, to use the fly's "second birth" as an allegory to explain Christian rebirth to Charlie.

I Wonder Why is a story that focuses on a different missionary family that the Brinkmans know, and how this family came to relocate to India. The children in the family have some difficulty adapting to this move, particularly as the orphanage they are ministering to is filled with (28) children who seem to be particularly mean and disobedient. As the story unfolds, God reveals the answers to "I wonder why..." that one of the missionary children was asking at the beginning of the episode.

Free Burma Rangers is a particularly gripping adventure. It begins with a missionary kid, who as a child attending boarding school is focused on wanting to grow up to be a soldier, and after that a missionary. The young man finishes boarding school, where he was not acting "like a missionary kid". He confesses to his dad that he has not been living the way he should, and he commits to change. He attends college at MIT, where he participates in Army ROTC, and after graduation joins "special ops", The Green Berets. After serving in this capacity for many years, he has met a woman that he wants to marry. She is not in agreement, and he continues to pursue her. He leaves the military and studies for the seminary, after which he goes into the ministry as a missionary, just like he said he would at one time as a child. Before he goes, though, the young woman, Karen, does come around and they get married. The story continues with his adventures as a missionary, and the group he is a part of called the Free Burma Rangers. The adventure eventually includes the Brinkmans, and the situations get very intense!

Some of the episodes in Season 6 suggest that children under the age of 10 should listen with their parents. I know that when my youngest was under the age of 10 it would not have been good for him to be listening to these alone. Some children have very tender hearts and need their parent(s) present to reassure them or to answer questions. These stories, based on real events, can be frightening. It is wise to be there to assure your children that they are not in this type of danger living where they do. (I say this assuming it is true. I guess I might actually have readers who live in places and situations that are just as dangerous. If this is your situation, then I guess you want to assure your child that we do not need to fear death if we are born again.)

I love Brinkman adventures! I received this product as a digital download. I was going to then burn the adventures to a CD, but it turned out I really wasn't going to be near a CD/MP3 player much during this review period. I thought I would load it to my cell phone, which involves iTunes, but I really haven't figured out how to use iTunes with my cell phone. (I know -- that's really sad. But it is true.) My husband made a suggestion that is what I finally ended up doing -- I emailed the digital product to myself, then opening the email on my phone I was able to listen to the episodes. They went to a Google drive or something, and then I could listen. I really need to get my daughter to teach me how to use iTunes...

If you love audio adventures, I really think you will like Brinkman Adventures, Season 6. I also learned recently that there is a radio station in Texas that airs Brinkman Adventures as a weekly show on their station. I'm going to try to figure out when it plans (EST), because I think I can tune into the station using Alexa or on my computer. I'd love to hear more episodes! I do not own them all.

The folks from Brinkman Adventures want to offer you, my reader,  a 10% discount for anything on their site. The code is FALL10 and is good for 10% off any of their products and is in effect from October 10th to October 31st. Go order now before you forget!

Other members of the Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Review Crew also reviewed this set of Brinkman Adventures. If you would like to read more reviews of Brinkman Adventures, Season 6, please click on the link below. 

Brinkman Adventures Season 6 Reviews


No comments :

Post a Comment

3